Any kind of harassment in the office, from violence and threats, to direct assault, may become a crime if you do not report it at the early stages. Some people accept bullying while others do not tolerate a violent expression. This occurs due to the difference in social and ethical values of individuals. However, your government has defined office harassment laws in their policies, which you must read out.
The Canadian Human Rights Commission describes harassment as ‘Harassment is a form of discrimination. It involves any unwanted physical or verbal behaviour that offends or humiliates you. Generally, harassment is a behaviour that persists over time. Serious one-time incidents can also sometimes be considered harassment’.
Your state laws may also be different from the other states. The Ontario Ministry of Labor has described office harassment laws in detail. Click here to read further details.
Different Types of Office Harassment Crimes
Office bullies stress you out directly or indirectly. The direct bullies are similar to school bullies. They degrade your reputation with the use of sarcasm, but it is not a crime. The indirect bullies play with your reputation by misinterpreting the information about you or spreading rumors. Bullying becomes a crime when it involves verbal abuse, stereotypical statements, or physical bullying.
Bullying or stalking on the internet is called cyber-bullying or cyber-stalking. It is considered a crime in Canada. The punishments involves warning for simple stalking, to imprisonment for the evidence of misuse of the social media photographs, and such. Contact Canadian Cyber Crime Cell for direct aid.
Hate Crimes/ Violence/ Physical Assault
Hate crimes are one of the fastest growing crimes in West. These crimes may involve psychological disorders, which means that the criminal may cause any type of threat to you, from verbal abuse to attempt to murder crimes. Make sure to report such crimes in the beginning, before they take a toll.
Sexual harassments like an unwelcoming touch, is treated as a civil crime in Canada and US. The victim may sue the person and settle the case on compensation. Imprisonment, for such crimes is usually uncommon. However, extreme cases like rape or getting sexual favors for professional deals like a promotion are charged as social and civil crimes. The punishment includes imprisonment and fine as well as compensation to the victim.
Malicious harassment crimes are usually treated as behavioral crimes. These include crimes that do not fit the definition of other crimes. For example, biasness, unusual stares, following a person, touching the personal equipment of an employee, pushing down someone professionally, unnecessary threats, and such crimes are included in malicious harassment crimes. The punishment mostly includes monetary compensations.
Remember that Canada is one of the few countries in the world that strive to make their land free from all types of crimes. You should not tolerate any kind of harassment, be it at your workplace or anywhere else. Make sure to read the office harassment policy of your organization. Also, contact a security organization like SWAT Protection to understand and know your rights!
An active shooter is an armed person who is engaged in the activity of unidentifiably shooting people in crowded or populated places. Most often, an active shooter does not kill targeted or assigned people. History proves that active shooting is an unpredictable act. An active shooter may use any type of explosive material including radioactive or chemical explosives or use armor to kill people. There is no proper pattern of shooting people in active shooting.
According to the estimates, if authorities immediately inform the law enforcement agencies then the active shooting activity lasts for 10 to 15 minutes. The immediate response of the targeted public is anxiety, resulting in stampeding and attracting the shooter. Naturally, it is difficult to maintain your senses and respond to the active shooter like a professional security provider.
However, there are a few good practices, which can help you save your life as well as that of others.
• If you are in a closed vicinity or room and terrorist activity has just erupted outside, then immediately secure and lock the room.
• When visiting public places or gatherings, always take note of the nearest two exits.
• If you are in an open area like a hallway, then try to enter a secure room and lock it from the inside.
• Beware of the people around you.
Employee Training to Respond to an active Shooter
• Always create an Emergency Action Plan that includes immediate exits, and places where fire extinguishers are installed.
• Include the important emergency and law enforcement agency numbers in the plan.
• Install an emergency notification system like alarms.
• Prepare Emergency Escape Route and procedure to escape from the location of active shooter. This route greatly depends on the infrastructure and construction of your office building.
• Hire a security firm like SWAT Protection to provide fundamental security training to your employees.
• Prepare a floor plan and train employees to divide into groups.
How to Respond When Law Enforcement Arrives?
During a panicky situation, it is difficult to differentiate between terrorists and law enforcement personnel. Remember that the law enforcement will be wearing proper uniforms and will guide you. Make sure to take your hands down and follow their instructions. The law enforcement personnel will never point a gun towards civilians. It is highly important to take your hands down and restrict your movements as the law enforcement personnel also need to differentiate between the shooter and the civilians. You should:
• Stay calm.
• Keep your hands visible.
• Avoid yelling.
• Do not question the law enforcement personnel or stop them.
• Put down any items like jackets, backpacks, and handbags.
The personnel will secure you from the situation and request you to provide some information. The most important information to provide includes:
• Number of shooters
• Location of shooter
• Number and type of weapons
• Physical description of the shooter
• Estimate of the potential victims at the shooting location
Many people want to volunteer at the shooting locations. It is highly recommended that you should volunteer only if you are a professionally trained individual. For professional training, contact SWAT Protection Services Inc.
Like many other industries, burglary is also an industry that subsumes some dark secrets and dirty tactics. The burglars definitely don’t want you to know these secrets to keep their profession safe. However, here we have found a treasure chest of secrets that the burglars in your vicinity might be hiding.
There are Three Types of Burglars
The burglars are classified into three different classes. The first class is of Professional Burglars. These burglars are mostly looking for expensive assets and work for bigger criminal organizations. Most often, these burglars are not interested in smaller properties.
The second class is of semi-professional burglars. This type should be your concern. They are involved in small to medium-sized robberies and thefts.
The third category is of amateur burglars. They are interested in small theft crimes. The amateur burglars should also be your concern.
They Read the Signs
The burglars are clever watchdogs, who predict your absence with strong observation skills. For example, if you have left a light open to deceive the burglars, it will be kept open for three or four days or more. Read our blog ‘Clever Security Gadgets to Install in Your Home This Year’ to understand different tactics of deceiving the burglars.
The burglars are also great judges. They judge the security of a house based on its condition. For example, if a house has shabby yard and overgrown bushes then the owner may be lazy enough to care for the security.
A Burglar May Have Serviced Your Home Earlier
To your surprise, the burglars may also have jobs. In fact, most of the burglars have full-time jobs. A burglar may have entered your home earlier to fix a pipe, do the plumbing job, check the HVAC, fix the beds, and more. The common most, preparatory tactic of the burglars is to use your bathroom and leave a window open for their future entrance. Therefore, make sure to check all the windows and doors including the HVAC unit to restrict foreign access.
The easiest entrance points include kitchen windows above the sink and other upper level windows. Make sure to install small cyber secured alarms at these places.
You Hide, I Find
Like many other people, do you also put your expensive jewelry in medicine bottles and hide money under the mattress? Then you need to worry because even a half-witted burglar now knows these tactics. A burglar would even enter the kids’ room to satisfy his hunger. Therefore, it is ideal to install an unbreakable safe for securing your valuables instead of hiding them.
They Don’t Want to Waste Time on Homes with Security Systems
As stated earlier, most of the burglars have fulltime day jobs. Therefore, they cannot afford wasting time to scrutinize individual security cameras on a property. CCTV cameras, surveillance and monitoring systems, lock alarms, and dog alarms can help avoid burglary attempts on your property.
The burglars never attempt on a property where there is digital security as well as physical security. Security firms like SWAT Protection Services Inc., ensure 100% security against all types of criminal attempts
Burglars live off deception. To their surprise, you can use the same trait to counter them by installing some unique security gadgets in your residential property. Let’s have a look at some of the smartest security gadgets available on the market.
1. Infrared Security Light
Many people have dim and shaded doorways that act as the easiest routes for burglars to break into your home. This is where Infrared security light comes into action. The unique technology activated by Passive Infrared Sensors, remains dim when there is no movement in the area where it is installed; however, the sensors activate upon movement in the area and the lights illuminate to reveal the source of movement.
2. Dummy Camera
Real CCTV Cameras can be very expensive and also require 24/7 surveillance to monitor the activities. Dummy cameras, on the other hand, are more economical than original CCTV cameras and do not require 24/7 surveillance.
Mark the sensitive points of your home including the entrance, windows, hallways and more. Install dummy cameras at all sensitive points to deceive burglars.
3. A Barking Dog Alarm
Modern barking dog alarms are manufactured with 360-degree radar detectors. These detectors detect movements in the area and the alarm activates. These alarms are very helpful in scaring burglars away and are readily available in the market at very affordable prices, starting from only CAD40.
4. Fake TV Light
Burglars mostly enter a house when it is empty or, late at night when the members are asleep. A great way to keep your premises secure in your absence is to install Fake TV Light. The light mimics the multicolored lights of Television and creates an impression of someone watching TV inside the premises. The best place to install a fake TV light is on the top of your television. Fake TV Lights start from CAD25 in the market.
5. Lock with Built-in Alarm
Burglars tend to target certain properties more than others. There could be many reasons for this: regular absence of house members, small boundary walls, lack of security cameras, and more. In such cases, you need extra security as burglars prefer entering through the door to avoid suspicion.
Door and window locks with built-in alarms are very effective in this regard. The alarm rings when someone tries to open it with a different key. Some locks with built-in alarms are also connected with WiFi. These alarms send you a signal on your smartphone or any other smart device it is configured with when someone tries opening the door.
Along with all these gadgets, you should also consider building a customized safe. The common techniques used by burglars to open a safe include mimicking thumb impression locks, drilling, breaking the safe, and unscrewing the door. Customized safes with unbreakable internal glass lining effectively resist all types of intrusive techniques.
Along with these security gadgets, you should also consider hiring the services of a security company like SWAT Protection Services Inc., that offers topnotch security services at very affordable rates.
Despite the cold weather, the warm-hearted people of Canada celebrate every moment of their lives in the form of concerts, parades, and festivals.
However, parades, rallies, and festivals can serve easy targets for attacks. The following guidelines can help you reduce the security risks in public areas.
Indicators of Terrorist Activity
The common instances of terrorist activity include gunfire, explosive materials, small arms attack, kidnapping, assassination, and use of chemical, radiological or biological agents.
Potential terrorist activity in a public rally, parade or festival may be identified through the following indicators.
People wearing unusually bulky clothing
Bulky clothing includes cargo pants, heavy jackets, hoodies, and backpacks. These are helpful in hiding explosives and arms. Jackets and baggy pants also aid in concealing the weapons.
People trying to enter illegally
Most parades, rallies and festivals are customized to a specific theme. Generally, the authorities assign identity cards or identity codes to the attendees in order to reduce the security risk. Whether it is one person or a group of people trying to get illegal entry to the parade or rally, it is necessary that the responsible authorities temporarily arrest them for a security check.
Vehicles Parked Illegally
It is the responsibility of the authorities and of the attendees as well to take note of any such unattended vehicles.
Public rallies and festivals are organized at open public areas. Therefore, the number of vulnerable areas is also greater than at other locations. Common vulnerability keys include these.
• Temporary structures like gates and windows
• Unrestricted access or entry points
• Unattended peripheral areas like parking area
• Activity points
• Limited security forces
• Lack of planning
• Multiple entrance points
• Display of armor or lethal items
You can restrict access using the following tips.
• Restrict the entrance to one or two points only.
• Put signs of Non-Public Area or Restricted Area.
• Conduct background check and assign identity cards or identity codes to all attendees.
Monitoring and Surveillance
Many volunteers participate in public rallies and parades. Therefore, you need two types of monitoring and surveillance strategies.
• Monitoring Before the Event
Make sure to keep a check on all the employees and volunteers, and keep a record of their contact numbers and addresses. It is better to hire volunteers based on references only. Keep a check on your employees and make sure to take action against changing behaviors or any suspicious activities.
• Monitoring During the Event
Install security gates on the entrance points. Install CCTV Cameras and provide portable alarms to the trustworthy volunteers.
Hire enough security personnel or hire a security service provider like SWAT Protection to have foolproof security during the event. Organizing an event like a rally or a parade is a huge responsibility. Security firms like SWAT Protection also help prepare a plan along with providing trained security personnel.
On November 13, 2015, armed terrorists entered a concert hall in Paris. The massacre that followed left 130 people dead and more than 100 people seriously injured.
As the security threats in public places continue to increase globally, it is necessary to equip public areas with protective measures. The following guidelines will help you understand common vulnerabilities and protect you at the time of a security lapse.
Indicators of Terrorist Activity
If you sense the following indicators in your surroundings, make sure to move away from them and inform the responsible authorities. Make sure to avoid yelling or performing any act that may alert the terrorist.
• People with bulky clothes and jackets in crowded areas
• Illegally parked or unattended vehicles
• Unattended packages like boxes, briefcases, and backpacks
• People trying to illegally cross restricted areas
• People trying to get unauthorized access to unusual places like HVAC unit access points
Some more indicators include:
• People loitering around restricted areas (they may be placing explosive materials or hiding arms)
• Changing behavior of employees
• Increased threats to the organization
• Sudden loss or theft of security personnel’s weapons
• People carrying cameras and shooting unusual sites
Anyone of your old or new employees may be involved in terrorist activity at a public place. You should monitor your employees and watch out for the following:.
• Entry of unfamiliar crew or employees (These may include cleaning guys and office boys)
• Someone inquiring about the company from your employees on-site or off-site
• Placement of unidentified alarms and cameras in the office
The following preventive measures will help you reduce the risk of terrorism in public places.
• Make sure to plan all public gatherings ahead. Point out all security checkpoints and install hi-tech security devices at these points.
• Make sure to prepare workers and employees to cope with emergency situations.
• Make sure to hire responsible people for supervision of the employees and security areas.
Access and Barriers
• Restrict non-public areas to avoid unnecessary or illegal access to sensitive areas. Designate security personnel in these areas or restrict them with public signs.
• Install as many electronic security devices on security checkpoints as possible.
• Make sure that the building is not directly connected with the surrounding buildings. Make sure to place barriers on the points of connection.
• Issue photo identification, thumb impression, card detection, and other types of security measures at the entrance. Make it compulsory for employees as well as regular visitors.
• Install security gates and locks on all easy- access areas.
• Install unbreakable barriers on HVAC units.
• Use CCTV Cameras to monitor public places.
• Hire a responsible security organization to deal with security emergency situations and avail surveillance services.
4 Security Tips to Apply in Commercial Buildings
Commercial buildings like shopping malls, community centers, and retail centers are mostly located in large areas. According to estimates, a majority of the Canadian shopping and retail centers are located at more than 10,000 sq.ft area. Apart from a few basic security tactics, it is difficult to employ the advance security tactics in such commercial buildings where the public has easy access.
The different types of security risks in commercial buildings include:
• Risk of asset theft
• Risk of terrorist activity
• Risk of customer or visitor security
We at SWAT Protection Services Inc., believe the following are some security tips to apply in the commercial buildings and reduce all types of security risks.
1. Identify the Risk
The most important step is to identify the risk using the following indicators.
1. A person carrying photos or video camera should not miss your eyes.
2. A person making drawings of different areas of the building
3. A person gathering building information from the employees, guards, managers, or shopkeepers
4. A person parking the vehicle in unauthorized area or illegally capturing a space in the parking lot
5. Unfamiliar employees wandering on the commercial property
6. Loss of identity card of any employee
7. Increment in threats
8. Unusual maintenance activity in the commercial building, especially of the HVAC unit
9. A person trying to enter the restricted areas
10. Anyone wearing unusual clothing, trying to hide something, or acting suspicious
2. Prepare a Plan and Train Your Employees
It is necessary that you recruit all employees based on their good market reputation. After that, prepare a physical security plan as explained in our blog ‘How Physical Security Policy Helps Save Your Company Thousands of Dollars’. Make sure to include the employee training course in the physical security policy. The course should also include tactics of responding to a terrorist attack.
An easier way is to hire a security firm that also provides training courses like SWAT Protection Services Inc.
3. Integrate Physical Security with Cyber Security Technology
Integrated physical and cyber security technology includes installing physical security equipment like CCTV Cameras. This equipment is operated by cyber services for uninterrupted monitoring and surveillance.
4. Restrict Access
As a fact, it is almost impossible to restrict foreign access in commercial buildings like residential buildings. A number of tactics, like issuing entrance IDs, cannot be used in commercial buildings. Therefore, SWAT Protection Services Inc., has complied a list of the following techniques that are helpful in restricting free access into the commercial buildings.
• Make sure to seal all the entrance points. These include entrance from doors and windows as well as entrance from unauthorized points like HVAC units.
• Limit the entrance points to one or two points only.
• Assign a physical security guard at the entrance point.
• Use modern detection devices for inspecting and monitoring the attendees.
• Test the digital and electronic devices regularly.
• Install modern locks with alarms on all gates. These locks are powered by cyber security and ring alarm when someone tries to open them illegally.
Along with these techniques, make sure to hire a responsible security firm for 100% protection of your commercial building, its assets, and your visitors and customers.
Technically, there are two types of security systems – physical and cyber security. However, the physical security of an organization greatly depends on modern IT. Physical security from SWAT Protection Services Inc., integrated and powered by cyber security helps ensure protection from theft of important assets and organizational data.
Integrated physical and cyber security stitch in time and save nine when the organizational personnel miss it.
The cost, effort, and ROI of investment in integrated physical and cyber security is several folds more than other types of security investments.
What is Physical Security Policy?
Physical security policy is the fundamental outline of your basic, advanced, and overlapped security areas. The process of physical security revolves around various goals including protecting assets, protecting data, communication and employee surveillance, workspace monitoring, and more.
The purpose of physical security policy is divided into three goal-oriented steps.
- Protecting the organization, personnel, and organizational assets and data from theft, crime, and foreign invasion
- Monitoring the workspace and employees
- Keeping records of unusual activities with the help of modern devices like CCTV Cameras, access control gates, and tracking employee emails and phones
Essentials of a Physical Security Policy
- A security policy must adhere to the rules and techniques of Enterprise Information Security Architecture.
- The policy should describe the key problem areas including vulnerable targets and targets of unauthorized entrance
- List of physical entry controls
- List of restricted areas (Some organizations include map of the surveillance rooms and high security rooms. It is generally not recommended as the security papers are distributed among all employees and may be leaked intentionally)
- List of power supply units and buttons and their controlling authorities
- Rules and laws against removal of any data or asset from the organization
- Rules for multicultural organizations and action policy against stereotypical or any other type of violence in the organization
- List of illegal weapons, tools and lethal equipments that are restricted to bring inside the premises of the enterprise
- List of restricted IT equipment in the premises
How Physical Security Policy Helps Save Money?
Organizations can save thousands of dollars every year simply by crafting a physical security policy under professional supervision of a security firm such as SWAT Protection Services Inc.
Physical security policy helps establish positive market reputation, which brings cream talent. The cost-effective turnout is in the form of reduced recruitment costs, higher productivity, and more efficient employees.
A physical security policy reduces the risk of theft in a number of ways. Firstly, minimum data theft protects your intellectual properties and sustains client’s confidence in your organization. Secondly, minimum equipment theft reduces replacement costs.
This policy establishes employee confidence in your organization. Additional security builds trust among the ordinary employees and transforms them into legal employees. Again, it increases productivity and helps reduce recruitment costs.
Are You Ready?
Now that you already know the importance of a physical security policy, you are all set to launch your own customized and personal physical security policy. For guidance, support, consultancy, and physical security services, contact SWAT Protection Services Inc. Read our blog ‘How to Choose a Security Firm’ to learn more about choosing a reputed and trustworthy security firm.
Residential and commercial properties face a risk of encountering different types of threatening situations like fire, theft, intrusion, and vandalism. By hiring the services of a security company, you can not only minimize the risk but also stay prepared for any unforeseen situations.
When you choose a security company, you hand over the security responsibilities of the people, the property, and the equipment therein to that company. Therefore, it is necessary to choose a security company that is competitively capable of providing foolproof security.
Always Choose a Company with Certified Employees
Different security schools in Canada offer professional security training. In contrast, some security companies also provide in-house professional security training to their employees. For example, SWAT Protection Services Inc., offers a 40-hour training program. This training program helps you get recognized provincially. SWAT Protection Services Inc., also trains its employees regularly to ensure the following.
- They are aware of the most modern security tools.
- They are trained for individual and collective protection.
- They are aware of special security tactics for people and the tangible assets.
- They effectively communicate for understanding the client requirements as well as prepare regular security reports for updates.
SWAT Protection Services Inc., also trains its employees for Emergency Level First Aid Certification.
Ask for references
A professional security company is capable of providing security to corporate and commercial properties as well as to the residential properties. Make sure to evaluate the work history of the organization. Ask the security company to provide you references of their previous clients.
Moreover, ask your friends, family members, and colleagues about a reputable and dependable security company. Search security companies in your vicinity online.
Research, Get Quotations, and Shortlist
Find out as many security companies in your area as possible. Book appointments and visit the ones you have shortlisted. On your visit, ask questions mentioned in the last section of this guide. Make sure to take quotations from all the companies.
After completing your research, compare the quotes and services of all the researched companies and create a final list. It will now be much easier make a final decision.
The following FAQs include self-assessment and assessment of the security company.
Track Your Needs
A professional security company would always ask you the purpose of hiring a security company. Make sure to create a list of your needs including security for assets, security against foreign access, protection against natural hazards and accidental fire (commonly required in chemical industries), and more.
Ask the Organization
Following are the questions you need to ask a security company such as SWAT Protection Services Inc., on your visit.
- Can you provide me some references of your previous clients?
- How do you train your employees?
- Why should we rely on you? How are you better than other security companies?
- How much do you charge? How are your charges justified as compared to your services?
- How do we contact you during an emergency? How long does it take you to respond?
With these tips, you will be able to choose a reputable, dependable, and authentic security company to make sure that your security is in the right hands. For any questions or concerns regarding these tips or other security inquiries feel free to contact SWAT Protection Services Inc.
While many people believe their residential area to be safe, it is important to consider that the security of the building is still at stake. Residential security risk assessment is the process of evaluating the security of a residential building and finding out the lapses that may turn into risky situations. The purpose of security risk assessment is to cover up the security gaps to avoid danger.
It is ideal to hire professional services for residential security risk assessment. However, you can also do it on your own with the help of the following checklist.
Evaluate the Number of Entrance Points
Before implementing a security system, it is vital to check the places from where burglars can easily enter the premises. A proven and easy way to reduce the security risk is to limit the number of entrances. Evaluate the number of entrances in your residential building and make sure to consider easy entry points like French windows that open directly in the frontal garden.
Check the Maintenance of the Entrances
The entrances, most importantly the central entrance, should have security locks and cameras. Faulty hardware and broken hinges pose a huge security risk. The entrance should be well-lit and well-maintained.
Visitor Logging System
In condominiums and multi-home residential buildings, a visitor logging system is very helpful to maintain the track of guests. It also helps avoid the trespassers. An electronic visitor management system that requires basic visitor information along with an identity is essential for multi-home residential buildings. Apart from a secure vehicle entrance, make sure to include a secure foot traffic entrance as well.
Safety for Valuable Items
Expensive and valuable items are always tempting to the burglars and criminals. These also include your car parked in front of the building or the fancy lights installed on the front wall. Make sure to park your car in the garage constructed inside the building or transform the basement into a parking lot for multi-home buildings.
The buildings without security guards are always at the risk of attack, despite other security measures. It is highly important to construct a safety exit in the building so that the families may escape an attack.
Security Service that Offers Optimum Monitoring, Crime Handling, Prevention, and other Services
Security service providers like SWAT Protection not only provide physical security for residential, commercial, and other buildings, but they also assess the building for security risks regularly. A reliable security company offers the following services.
- Offers full-time or part-time guard services for preventing crime.
- Should be able to offer great peace of mind and sense of security to the people living in the building.
- Satisfactory customer service so that people can lodge complaints and ask questions easily.
- Expert crime handling including foreseeing the alarming situations.
- Monitoring services including patrolling and CCTV surveillance.
Your building may be at high risk if any of the aforementioned security steps are missing. Hiring a security service frees you from the stress and hard work of keeping your residential building safe.