An active shooter is an armed person who is engaged in the activity of unidentifiably shooting people in crowded or populated places. Most often, an active shooter does not kill targeted or assigned people. History proves that active shooting is an unpredictable act. An active shooter may use any type of explosive material including radioactive or chemical explosives or use armor to kill people. There is no proper pattern of shooting people in active shooting.
According to the estimates, if authorities immediately inform the law enforcement agencies then the active shooting activity lasts for 10 to 15 minutes. The immediate response of the targeted public is anxiety, resulting in stampeding and attracting the shooter. Naturally, it is difficult to maintain your senses and respond to the active shooter like a professional security provider.
However, there are a few good practices, which can help you save your life as well as that of others.
• If you are in a closed vicinity or room and terrorist activity has just erupted outside, then immediately secure and lock the room.
• When visiting public places or gatherings, always take note of the nearest two exits.
• If you are in an open area like a hallway, then try to enter a secure room and lock it from the inside.
• Beware of the people around you.
Employee Training to Respond to an active Shooter
• Always create an Emergency Action Plan that includes immediate exits, and places where fire extinguishers are installed.
• Include the important emergency and law enforcement agency numbers in the plan.
• Install an emergency notification system like alarms.
• Prepare Emergency Escape Route and procedure to escape from the location of active shooter. This route greatly depends on the infrastructure and construction of your office building.
• Hire a security firm like SWAT Protection to provide fundamental security training to your employees.
• Prepare a floor plan and train employees to divide into groups.
How to Respond When Law Enforcement Arrives?
During a panicky situation, it is difficult to differentiate between terrorists and law enforcement personnel. Remember that the law enforcement will be wearing proper uniforms and will guide you. Make sure to take your hands down and follow their instructions. The law enforcement personnel will never point a gun towards civilians. It is highly important to take your hands down and restrict your movements as the law enforcement personnel also need to differentiate between the shooter and the civilians. You should:
• Stay calm.
• Keep your hands visible.
• Avoid yelling.
• Do not question the law enforcement personnel or stop them.
• Put down any items like jackets, backpacks, and handbags.
The personnel will secure you from the situation and request you to provide some information. The most important information to provide includes:
• Number of shooters
• Location of shooter
• Number and type of weapons
• Physical description of the shooter
• Estimate of the potential victims at the shooting location
Many people want to volunteer at the shooting locations. It is highly recommended that you should volunteer only if you are a professionally trained individual. For professional training, contact SWAT Protection Services Inc.
Like many other industries, burglary is also an industry that subsumes some dark secrets and dirty tactics. The burglars definitely don’t want you to know these secrets to keep their profession safe. However, here we have found a treasure chest of secrets that the burglars in your vicinity might be hiding.
There are Three Types of Burglars
The burglars are classified into three different classes. The first class is of Professional Burglars. These burglars are mostly looking for expensive assets and work for bigger criminal organizations. Most often, these burglars are not interested in smaller properties.
The second class is of semi-professional burglars. This type should be your concern. They are involved in small to medium-sized robberies and thefts.
The third category is of amateur burglars. They are interested in small theft crimes. The amateur burglars should also be your concern.
They Read the Signs
The burglars are clever watchdogs, who predict your absence with strong observation skills. For example, if you have left a light open to deceive the burglars, it will be kept open for three or four days or more. Read our blog ‘Clever Security Gadgets to Install in Your Home This Year’ to understand different tactics of deceiving the burglars.
The burglars are also great judges. They judge the security of a house based on its condition. For example, if a house has shabby yard and overgrown bushes then the owner may be lazy enough to care for the security.
A Burglar May Have Serviced Your Home Earlier
To your surprise, the burglars may also have jobs. In fact, most of the burglars have full-time jobs. A burglar may have entered your home earlier to fix a pipe, do the plumbing job, check the HVAC, fix the beds, and more. The common most, preparatory tactic of the burglars is to use your bathroom and leave a window open for their future entrance. Therefore, make sure to check all the windows and doors including the HVAC unit to restrict foreign access.
The easiest entrance points include kitchen windows above the sink and other upper level windows. Make sure to install small cyber secured alarms at these places.
You Hide, I Find
Like many other people, do you also put your expensive jewelry in medicine bottles and hide money under the mattress? Then you need to worry because even a half-witted burglar now knows these tactics. A burglar would even enter the kids’ room to satisfy his hunger. Therefore, it is ideal to install an unbreakable safe for securing your valuables instead of hiding them.
They Don’t Want to Waste Time on Homes with Security Systems
As stated earlier, most of the burglars have fulltime day jobs. Therefore, they cannot afford wasting time to scrutinize individual security cameras on a property. CCTV cameras, surveillance and monitoring systems, lock alarms, and dog alarms can help avoid burglary attempts on your property.
The burglars never attempt on a property where there is digital security as well as physical security. Security firms like SWAT Protection Services Inc., ensure 100% security against all types of criminal attempts
Burglars live off deception. To their surprise, you can use the same trait to counter them by installing some unique security gadgets in your residential property. Let’s have a look at some of the smartest security gadgets available on the market.
1. Infrared Security Light
Many people have dim and shaded doorways that act as the easiest routes for burglars to break into your home. This is where Infrared security light comes into action. The unique technology activated by Passive Infrared Sensors, remains dim when there is no movement in the area where it is installed; however, the sensors activate upon movement in the area and the lights illuminate to reveal the source of movement.
2. Dummy Camera
Real CCTV Cameras can be very expensive and also require 24/7 surveillance to monitor the activities. Dummy cameras, on the other hand, are more economical than original CCTV cameras and do not require 24/7 surveillance.
Mark the sensitive points of your home including the entrance, windows, hallways and more. Install dummy cameras at all sensitive points to deceive burglars.
3. A Barking Dog Alarm
Modern barking dog alarms are manufactured with 360-degree radar detectors. These detectors detect movements in the area and the alarm activates. These alarms are very helpful in scaring burglars away and are readily available in the market at very affordable prices, starting from only CAD40.
4. Fake TV Light
Burglars mostly enter a house when it is empty or, late at night when the members are asleep. A great way to keep your premises secure in your absence is to install Fake TV Light. The light mimics the multicolored lights of Television and creates an impression of someone watching TV inside the premises. The best place to install a fake TV light is on the top of your television. Fake TV Lights start from CAD25 in the market.
5. Lock with Built-in Alarm
Burglars tend to target certain properties more than others. There could be many reasons for this: regular absence of house members, small boundary walls, lack of security cameras, and more. In such cases, you need extra security as burglars prefer entering through the door to avoid suspicion.
Door and window locks with built-in alarms are very effective in this regard. The alarm rings when someone tries to open it with a different key. Some locks with built-in alarms are also connected with WiFi. These alarms send you a signal on your smartphone or any other smart device it is configured with when someone tries opening the door.
Along with all these gadgets, you should also consider building a customized safe. The common techniques used by burglars to open a safe include mimicking thumb impression locks, drilling, breaking the safe, and unscrewing the door. Customized safes with unbreakable internal glass lining effectively resist all types of intrusive techniques.
Along with these security gadgets, you should also consider hiring the services of a security company like SWAT Protection Services Inc., that offers topnotch security services at very affordable rates.
Despite the cold weather, the warm-hearted people of Canada celebrate every moment of their lives in the form of concerts, parades, and festivals.
However, parades, rallies, and festivals can serve easy targets for attacks. The following guidelines can help you reduce the security risks in public areas.
Indicators of Terrorist Activity
The common instances of terrorist activity include gunfire, explosive materials, small arms attack, kidnapping, assassination, and use of chemical, radiological or biological agents.
Potential terrorist activity in a public rally, parade or festival may be identified through the following indicators.
People wearing unusually bulky clothing
Bulky clothing includes cargo pants, heavy jackets, hoodies, and backpacks. These are helpful in hiding explosives and arms. Jackets and baggy pants also aid in concealing the weapons.
People trying to enter illegally
Most parades, rallies and festivals are customized to a specific theme. Generally, the authorities assign identity cards or identity codes to the attendees in order to reduce the security risk. Whether it is one person or a group of people trying to get illegal entry to the parade or rally, it is necessary that the responsible authorities temporarily arrest them for a security check.
Vehicles Parked Illegally
It is the responsibility of the authorities and of the attendees as well to take note of any such unattended vehicles.
Public rallies and festivals are organized at open public areas. Therefore, the number of vulnerable areas is also greater than at other locations. Common vulnerability keys include these.
• Temporary structures like gates and windows
• Unrestricted access or entry points
• Unattended peripheral areas like parking area
• Activity points
• Limited security forces
• Lack of planning
• Multiple entrance points
• Display of armor or lethal items
You can restrict access using the following tips.
• Restrict the entrance to one or two points only.
• Put signs of Non-Public Area or Restricted Area.
• Conduct background check and assign identity cards or identity codes to all attendees.
Monitoring and Surveillance
Many volunteers participate in public rallies and parades. Therefore, you need two types of monitoring and surveillance strategies.
• Monitoring Before the Event
Make sure to keep a check on all the employees and volunteers, and keep a record of their contact numbers and addresses. It is better to hire volunteers based on references only. Keep a check on your employees and make sure to take action against changing behaviors or any suspicious activities.
• Monitoring During the Event
Install security gates on the entrance points. Install CCTV Cameras and provide portable alarms to the trustworthy volunteers.
Hire enough security personnel or hire a security service provider like SWAT Protection to have foolproof security during the event. Organizing an event like a rally or a parade is a huge responsibility. Security firms like SWAT Protection also help prepare a plan along with providing trained security personnel.
On November 13, 2015, armed terrorists entered a concert hall in Paris. The massacre that followed left 130 people dead and more than 100 people seriously injured.
As the security threats in public places continue to increase globally, it is necessary to equip public areas with protective measures. The following guidelines will help you understand common vulnerabilities and protect you at the time of a security lapse.
Indicators of Terrorist Activity
If you sense the following indicators in your surroundings, make sure to move away from them and inform the responsible authorities. Make sure to avoid yelling or performing any act that may alert the terrorist.
• People with bulky clothes and jackets in crowded areas
• Illegally parked or unattended vehicles
• Unattended packages like boxes, briefcases, and backpacks
• People trying to illegally cross restricted areas
• People trying to get unauthorized access to unusual places like HVAC unit access points
Some more indicators include:
• People loitering around restricted areas (they may be placing explosive materials or hiding arms)
• Changing behavior of employees
• Increased threats to the organization
• Sudden loss or theft of security personnel’s weapons
• People carrying cameras and shooting unusual sites
Anyone of your old or new employees may be involved in terrorist activity at a public place. You should monitor your employees and watch out for the following:.
• Entry of unfamiliar crew or employees (These may include cleaning guys and office boys)
• Someone inquiring about the company from your employees on-site or off-site
• Placement of unidentified alarms and cameras in the office
The following preventive measures will help you reduce the risk of terrorism in public places.
• Make sure to plan all public gatherings ahead. Point out all security checkpoints and install hi-tech security devices at these points.
• Make sure to prepare workers and employees to cope with emergency situations.
• Make sure to hire responsible people for supervision of the employees and security areas.
Access and Barriers
• Restrict non-public areas to avoid unnecessary or illegal access to sensitive areas. Designate security personnel in these areas or restrict them with public signs.
• Install as many electronic security devices on security checkpoints as possible.
• Make sure that the building is not directly connected with the surrounding buildings. Make sure to place barriers on the points of connection.
• Issue photo identification, thumb impression, card detection, and other types of security measures at the entrance. Make it compulsory for employees as well as regular visitors.
• Install security gates and locks on all easy- access areas.
• Install unbreakable barriers on HVAC units.
• Use CCTV Cameras to monitor public places.
• Hire a responsible security organization to deal with security emergency situations and avail surveillance services.